Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Desert Botanical Garden

Last Thursday the boys and I ventured with another homeschooling family, The Jensen's to the Desert Botanical Gardens.  We had a wonderful time learning about all the different species of cactus.  There are so many. Here are a couple that we learned about.
The Agave Cactus

Check out the white hair on this "Old Man" Cactus. 
I'm still chuckling as I look at that one again.

The Prickly Pear Cactus.  The pink buds that you see are actually fruit
that you can eat.  We had prickly pear candy and jam that we tasted.
Very sweet and tasty!

We can't forget to add the state tree of Arizona,
Palo Verde.  This tree is interesting in that it has a green trunck.  That is
where photosynthesis occurs because the leaves are just too tiny to
produce food. Interesting, right!

Thumbs up-even the cactus agrees.
Pretty desert blooms. This is the prettiest time
in the desert with all the flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment